Monday, September 19, 2011

Frida Kahlo, an artist I love, and footage of her.

I have long been a fan of Frida Kahlo's painting.

Who is Frida Kahlo you wonder? She is a Mexican painter in the early 20th century who definitely had her own style of painting. She painted a couple murals and married the Mexican painter Diego Rivera. She had many affairs with famous people. She was a beautiful woman and carried herself in a way that you can tell she was aware of this fact. She lived large in the sense that she embraced life despite being in pain.

Kahlo was in a lot of pain for most of her life because she was in a streetcar accident as a young woman in which one of the bars from the center of the car impaled her through her lower abdomen. That accident made her unable to have children (she would lose many babies when she attempted until the doctors told her she should stop harming her body that way), the accident caused her to have numerous operations throughout her life, and made her unable to sit/stand up for long in later life.

I happened across this video that has old footage of her (and some of her with Diego Rivera, the plump, older, man you see her with) while wandering around online and it was exciting for me because I had never seen it before.


I wrote a 20 page paper on her life and art when I was studying Fine Art as a 19 year old. I also have been lucky enough to see an exhibition of her work when I lived in San Diego. It is quite stunning and colourful, as well as some of the imagery being a bit grotesque in nature because she would paint about what she knew; including her hospital stays, operations, and miscarriages.

I just thought I would share about a painter that interests me.

No comments: