Saturday, June 18, 2011

Game Of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire

I have been wrapped up in reading George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. Yes, the books that Game of Thrones (the TV show) is based off of. I am enjoying them so much and am almost done with the third book in the series A Storm of Swords and cannot wait to start the next book A Feast of Crows.

I discovered the book series after reading in a magazine how it was being adapted by HBO into a television series. It fit in the genre that I love but am very careful about reading books in: historical fantasy. So many of the books in this genre are lame or boring...but not Martin's series.

Martin's writing is engaging and easy to read. You grow to really care about the characters and want to find out about new characters that are introduced as the series progresses. I know a lot of fans are now complaining he is spending too much time on "bit characters" instead of the originals to the series but I am enjoying finding out more about them and seeing how they get entwined in the storyline. I am loving the series and am curious to see it through to the end.

I have also been watching the TV series Game of Thrones and find it very well done.



Season one is almost complete and has it's finale this Sunday. So cool and exciting though I wish it were not ending the season quite yet!

I love how it is brave enough to cast actors that are well know (Hello Sean Bean!) as characters that get killed off! That takes a lot of balls since it is done but not all that often. I love how it has a medieval feel to it while being firmly planted in the world of fantasy with zombies and dragons...and magic. Perfect since it makes it feel like the story is based in realty or at least a world that could be real. And the way the show looks is perfect!

I highly recommend both the books and TV show to anyone who loves historical type fiction and doesn't mind a bit of fantasy mixed in with it.

No comments: