Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Manic Panic Is Back!

I am sure I will probably hear from many people that Manic Panic never went anywhere since it is the cheap, brightly coloured, hair dye of choice for many a punk rocker/goth/emo/alternative subculture. It has always been the hair dye of choice by the alternative set, even when I was punk rock/goth back in the late 80s and early 1990s it was widely used and I am sure it was before then.

Above: Manic Panic Hair Dye in Ultra Violet at Urban Outfitters

I even bought a tub in a blue/green colour but, chickened out and gave it to a friend who dyed his hair with it. I just didn't want to go through the whole "bleach the hair to white" experience to allow the colour to take to my hair true in the same hue as the colour in the tub. I wanted the bright hue I saw in the tub but, not the destruction my hair would have to go through to get to that high voltage colour.

Now, Urban Outfitters is selling Manic Panic for $10.00 a tub in Ultra Violet, Cotton Candy Pink, Shocking Blue, Vampire Red, and Raven.

For those of you who make a big deal about "selling out" this is the kiss of death to have a huge, chain store, sell Manic Panic. Sort of like when Hot Topic cornered the market on punk rock clothing many years ago. I am sure their carrying of the hair dye in such wild colours has everything to do with the trend I have been seeing of outrageous coloured streaks in hair.

So, I will not be taking part in this trend because, well, been there and done that years ago. It will be amusing to see who does go for the Manic Panic and start colouring their hair in wild streaks of colour.


And, to end on a totally unrelated note, I am so sad to see that Alexander McQueens 2010 Fall/Winter Pre Collection is up as a Archive at his site. Will it ever be sold in stores? Look how gorgeous the clothing is! Such talent gone too soon.

3 comments:

WendyB said...

I met Tish and Snooky of Manic Panic a few months ago and was starstruck!

D said...

Don't know about the states, but Manic Panic is def still cool in Aus!

SnapandPrint said...

D, it just wasn't mentioned much for a while and now, suddenly, Urban Outfitters is selling it. Probably because coloured streaks in hair are becoming popular.