Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Blogging and Fashion

I have found it hard to write blog posts for this blog sometimes. I don't have lots of money in my bank account so cannot afford designer clothing. I would love to be able to because I love clothing by designers like Alexander McQueen:



Above: Alexander McQueen Bird Funnel Print Dress and Black Rouched Pumps

And clothing by Vivienne Westwood:



Above: Vivienne Westwood Anglomania Collection Fall/Winter 2009

I just haven't gotten to the point in my life where I can afford high fashion clothing items because I am struggling to get my photography business off the ground, pay the bills, and my family is not rich. I have always loved fashion and try to dress reasonably fashionable, but you will be seeing me wearing the newer styles as the trickle down to the mass market form that you find in stores like H&M, Urban Outfitters, Forever 21, and other stores of the same price range.

I love fashion but, I feel a bit weird going on and on about clothing I could never buy with my paycheck. I may post a high fashion item and drool over it in this blog, but I cannot rush out and buy it to add it in my wardrobe at this point in my life. Believe me, I really wish I could!

This does not mean I don't know anything about fashion if I write about something I wish I could own, but cannot afford. This means if you choose to leave hateful, snobby, mocking, mean-spirited, comments on my blog because I obviously am "poor", "don't know what I am talking about", or am "old and ugly", that comment will never see the light of day.

 Just because a person does not have the money to buy Prada shoes or a Gucci handbag does not make them unfashionable and not knowing what they are talking about when it comes to fashion. They make do with what they can afford and try super hard to look stylish while doing so while dreaming of what they would buy if they had the money. Smacking comments on blogs from this brand of fashionista always make me wonder about the sanity of the person and why they are so angry at people who write about fashion just because the person cannot afford $1,000 shoes. Believe me, I have seen this happen often and it has even happened to me.

I tend to try and write more in detail about things I do buy, be it Avon products, Sephora bought make-up/perfume, clothing/jewelry from LuLus.com, and other stores/sites that are not as rough on the bank account. I write detail about things I have bought and had experience with. That way, other women who like products that work or clothing that is lower price (but decent quality) can buy the item if it interests them after my talking about them. I enjoy referring other women to things I have found that are well made/work well and low price. In this economy, we can all be happy to save a little money.

This does not mean I won't make posts about my love of Guiseppe Zanotti sandals and desire to own them:




Above: Mirror-embellished suede sandals by Guiseppe Zanotti

It just means that there will be no reviews of my experience with wearing them. Just me wishing I could afford them and thinking of the outfits I would wear them with, or what events I would wear them to.

I hope this clears up any wondering about why my fashion blog is full of "wishful wanting" posts while having all the practical, hands on, "I have used this product/worn this and..." posts are of less expensive items.  Someday, I will be able to afford these shoes:



Above: Very PrivĂ© 120 peep-toe pumps by Christian Louboutin


Which I really, really, really, want. It's just that time to own them is not now.

2 comments:

WendyB said...

You're certainly entitled to write about whatever catches your eye. You don't have to be an actor to write about movies or a published author to write about books. Why should fashion be different? I can't afford everything I look at either so if that's the qualification, I guess none of us should be allowed to have an opinion!

SnapandPrint said...

The sad thing is Wendy, there are people who think that way. I have been attacked by them in comments that never made my blog. I have seen it happen to other bloggers as well.

I really don't understand the mindset of a person who thinks people who are not able to afford high fashion, cannot express interest or enjoyment in "wishing to own" high fashion.

I post high fashion I love and wish I could afford. I write my experience posts on things I actually have bought and can afford. I have seen others do the same.

Being rich and being able to afford Prada shoes is not really a qualifier in being able to write about fashion. There are so many types of fashion out there and so many people with differing ideas of what fashion is. It is refreshing to see this and I encourage it, not discourage it. I wish that the blogging world was friendly and not peppered with the occasional "14 year old rich spoiled girl who hates everyone of a different class than her so posts nasty comments" like it is.

One can dream....